- AWA's Bill Kappel discussed PMP and other meteorological topics, with specific emphasis on the mining industry on the "Behind the Scenes with Bryan" podcast. Listen here
- PMP and extreme flooding can happen almost anywhere and that's why AWA is excited to be working on its most northerly study, just a few degrees south of the Arctic Circle in the Yukon Territory of Canada.
- Important updates to the PMP and Precipitation Frequency climatologies for two large regions in Brazil in support of mining operations in Minas Gerais and Para states.
- Check out AWA's Climate Change and PMP article published in the Journal of Dam Safety, Volume 17, Issue 3-the Climate Issue. Take a look at AWA's article here and be sure to read a copy of the Journal here.
- AWA will be developing PMP, meteorological analyses, and climatological data for the proposed KSM Project in British Columbia. We will be working with Seabridge Gold and Golder Associates on this important and complex project. You can learn more about this project and location at Seabridge Gold.
- AWA starts its first major study in Europe as part of a team working on the Evaluation of the Lyulyakovitsa Tailings Dam in Bulgaria, developing the PMP and meteorology of extreme rainfall. The mining facility is run by Assarel-Medet AD, which is the largest Bulgarian mining company for open pit mine concentrating on copper and other ores. The mining operation is located 6 miles northwest of the town of Panagyurishte and 55 miles east of Sofia.
- AWA was a co-author on a paper detailing the rarity of the rainfall associated with the August 2016 storm which resulted in devastating flooding in the Baton Rouge region. The paper will be published in the April edition of the Journal of Hydrometeorology, but you can read a copy hear.
- AWA's article on PMP Estimation for the Mine Tailing Dams in Data Limited Regions was published in the latest issue of the Journal of Dam Safety, be sure to read it here.
- The island of Puerto Rico has been devastated by recent natural events, including Hurricane Maria in 2017 and earthquakes in 2019. To help better understand and prepare for these risks in the future, AWA was selected by the USBR to update PMP for the entire island. AWA will be working with AECOM on this important project to ensure all dams are adequately designed to withstand the largest flood that could happen anywhere on the island.
- AWA was selected to complete as statewide study for New Jersey. This will be AWA's 15 statewide study and build on the work already completed in the region.
- Bill Kappel was a co-chair of the 34th Conference on Hydrology, Extreme Rainfall and Hydrologic Extremes during the historic 100th annual American Meteorological Society meeting. Many excellent presentations during these sessions, check some out here.
- AWA provided significant data and information for the article "A Tool for Every Job: Statewide PMP and Extreme Rainfall Estimation", authored by AECOM in the Western Dam Engineering technical note. Click here to read the article.
- AWA co-authored paper "Assessment of the Extreme Rainfall Event at Nashville, Tennessee and the Surrounding Region on May 1-3-2010" was published in the Journal of the American Water Resources, October 2018 issue. Click here to download a copy of the paper.
- Aterra Solutions and AWA publish an article on the re-evaluation of the Smethport, PA July 1942 work record rainfall in the Journal of Dam Safety Click here to download a copy of the article.
- The Journal of Dam Safety published AWA's article on Hurricane Harvey. Click here to download a copy of the article.
- Colorado-New Mexico regional Extreme Precipitation Study Completed late 2018. From Bill McCormick, Chief Colorado Dam Safety, “This is the culmination of many years of hard work by many individuals. Everyone involved in this effort should congratulate themselves for what has been accomplished. I would challenge anyone to read these volumes and not be impressed with what we have done in the interest of advancing the science of extreme precipitation.” The Probable Maximum Precipitation report can be downloaded here.
- AWA provides featured presentation at Mine Water Solutions conference in Vancouver, BC on "Current PMP Estimation and Meteorological Parameter Development for Mining Facilities in Data Limited Regions". A video recording of the presentation can be played from the link above. The slide presentation can be download here.
- AWA wins Published Paper of the Year award at the Canadian Dam Association Annual Conference for our work on the Springbank-Elbow River off stream storage PMP project. The unique project was accomplished as part of a team with Stantec, who completed the hydrologic applications and engineering and Alberta Transportation. The paper is available here.