- AWA welcomes Marty Venticinque to the team. Marty has an extensive background in meteorology including an extensive meteorological broadcast career and storm chasing adventures. Learn more about Marty here.
- Doug Hultstrand, AWA's Senior Hydrometeorologist, just completed his PhD work at Colorado State University. Congratulations to Doug for all his years of hard work and accomplishing such an important milestone.
- We say Aloha to PMP as we start our statewide PMP study for the islands of Hawaii. This will be challenging and exciting study given the extreme spatial variability of rainfall across the islands.
- AWA's Bill Kappel discussed PMP and other meteorological topics, with specific emphasis on the mining industry on the "Behind the Scenes with Bryan" podcast. Listen here
- PMP and extreme flooding can happen almost anywhere and that's why AWA is excited to be working on its most northerly study, just a few degrees south of the Arctic Circle in the Yukon Territory of Canada.
- Important updates to the PMP and Precipitation Frequency climatologies for two large regions in Brazil in support of mining operations in Minas Gerais and Para states.
- Check out AWA's Climate Change and PMP article published in the Journal of Dam Safety, Volume 17, Issue 3-the Climate Issue. Take a look at AWA's article here and be sure to read a copy of the Journal here.
- AWA was a co-author on a paper detailing the rarity of the rainfall associated with the August 2016 storm which resulted in devastating flooding in the Baton Rouge region. The paper will be published in the April edition of the Journal of Hydrometeorology, but you can read a copy hear.
- AWA's article on PMP Estimation for the Mine Tailing Dams in Data Limited Regions was published in the latest issue of the Journal of Dam Safety, be sure to read it here.
- Bill Kappel was a co-chair of the 34th Conference on Hydrology, Extreme Rainfall and Hydrologic Extremes during the historic 100th annual American Meteorological Society meeting. Many excellent presentations during these sessions, check some out here.
- AWA provided significant data and information for the article "A Tool for Every Job: Statewide PMP and Extreme Rainfall Estimation", authored by AECOM in the Western Dam Engineering technical note. Click here to read the article.
- AWA co-authored paper "Assessment of the Extreme Rainfall Event at Nashville, Tennessee and the Surrounding Region on May 1-3-2010" was published in the Journal of the American Water Resources, October 2018 issue. Click here to download a copy of the paper.
- Aterra Solutions and AWA publish an article on the re-evaluation of the Smethport, PA July 1942 work record rainfall in the Journal of Dam Safety Click here to download a copy of the article.
- The Journal of Dam Safety published AWA's article on Hurricane Harvey. Click here to download a copy of the article.
- AWA provides featured presentation at Mine Water Solutions conference in Vancouver, BC on "Current PMP Estimation and Meteorological Parameter Development for Mining Facilities in Data Limited Regions". A video recording of the presentation can be played from the link above. The slide presentation can be download here.
- AWA wins Published Paper of the Year award at the Canadian Dam Association Annual Conference for our work on the Springbank-Elbow River off stream storage PMP project. The unique project was accomplished as part of a team with Stantec, who completed the hydrologic applications and engineering and Alberta Transportation. The paper is available here.